The treat part of ‘trick or treat’. Get your spook on with these gingerbread skeletons.
Prep: 45 minutes
Cook: 15-18 minutes
Makes: 12 gingerbread skeletons
45g softened butter
75g soft brown sugar
60g golden syrup
1 egg yolk
170g plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp mixed spice
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 160C Fan. Line a large baking sheet with non-stick paper.
- Measure the butter and sugar into a bowl until light and fluffy using a hand whisk. Add the syrup and egg yolk and whisk again. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until the mixture comes together. Knead into a ball.
- Roll out on a floured work surface. Cut out 12 skeletons using a gingerbread cutter. Place onto the baking sheet. Chill for 20 minutes then bake for 15 to 18 minutes until lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix the icing with the water to make a smooth consistency. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small round nozzle. Pipe white lines onto the cookies to make the bones on the skeleton.
- Leave to set for 30 minutes.