With these savoury pancake recipes by author and food expert Annabel Karmel, go all out on Pancake Day and try these out for dinner!
One of the yummiest days of the year, Pancake Day returns once again on Tuesday 21st February 2023! Whilst your family might be partial to a classic lemon and sugar or maybe blueberries and maple syrup, this year why not go savoury?
Pancakes are also a great way to sneak in veggies so use the occasion to your advantage and pack your pancakes with goodness! In need of some inspiration? Try these flippin’ delicious family recipes from leading children’s cookery author and food expert Annabel Karmel.
Delicious Savoury Pancake Recipes for Pancake Day
Sweetcorn & Cherry Tomato Pancakes
Serves: 15 pancakes
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml whole milk
- 75g Italian hard cheese or dairy-free cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 6 cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 100g tinned sweetcorn
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- salt and pepper
For the salsa:
- 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered or roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Finley chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, eggs and milk together in a large bowl until you have a smooth batter.
- Add all the remaining ingredients (except the oil), season lightly with salt and pepper and mix well. Heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add heaped spoonfuls of the batter mixture, fry for 2 minutes, then flip over and cook on the other side for 2 minutes until lightly golden and cooked through.
- Mix all of the salsa ingredients together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Serve the pancakes with the tomato salsa.
Dip Dip Chickpea & Carrot Pancakes
Serves: 2 portions
- 30g chickpeas
- 30g carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 20g parmesan cheese, grated (or vegetarian alternative)
- 30g self-raising flour
- 50ml milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Plus, 2 large eggs at room temperature for the dippy eggs
- Put the chickpeas into a processor and whiz until finely chopped.
- Add the carrot, basil, Parmesan, flour, milk and egg. Whiz again until smooth and pour into a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add heaped spoonfuls of the mixture and fry for 2 to 3 minutes each side. You will make about 6 small pancakes. Set aside.
- Bring a pan of water up to the boil. Add the eggs and boil rapidly for 3 to 4 minutes so that they are cooked but runny.
- Remove, place in egg cups and carefully slice the tops off. Slice the pancakes into strips and serve next to the eggs for dunking and dipping.
Spinach and Sweetcorn Pancakes
Serves: 25-30 pancakes
- 75g baby spinach
- 75g tinned sweetcorn
- 75g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- Wilt the spinach in a frying pan. Drain and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Spoon the spinach and sweetcorn into a processor. Whiz until finely chopped. Then add the remaining ingredients, and whiz again until smooth.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Fry spoonfuls of the mixture for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until lightly golden and set in the middle.
Stuck for mealtime inspiration? Annabel Karmel’s bestselling Baby & Toddler Recipe App is jam-packed with 650+ recipes, plus tasty new ideas EVERY WEEK. Plus, access meal planners, shopping lists, helpful guides and Annabel’s No.1 listen-along Weaning Guide. Visit the App Store Start your FREE 14-day trial today!
- Best Last-Minute February Half-Term Family Escapes in the UK & Abroad
- Three Delicious Pancake Recipes to Make with Your Kids
- Easy Recipes to Try at Home With the Kids This Easter