Veganuary is upon us again and while it can be tricky at first, there are a whole host of recipes that are perfect for families if you want to give vegetarian or vegan meals a go. Here we round up some of the best vegan recipes for kids and adults alike.
Vegan Recipes for Kids
Pea & Pesto Pasta
- 60g frozen peas
- 100g pasta
- 100g fresh kale or spinach
- 60g fresh basil
- 40g grated vegan hard cheese
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp dairy-free Greek yoghurt
1. Cook the peas in a large pan of boiling water. Once cooked drain and save the water for the pasta.
2. Put the water back into the pan and bring back to the boil. Then, add the pasta and cook according to the pasta’s instructions.
3. While the pasta is cooking, add all the remaining ingredients to a blender. Add in the cooked peas and blend to a smooth puree. If it needs more liquid, add a glug more of olive oil.
4. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add a tbsp of the pesto.
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- handful of flat-leaf parsley or curly parsley
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp harissa paste or chilli powder
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- toasted pitta bread, to serve
- 200g tub tomato salsa, to serve
- green salad, to serve
1. Drain the chickpeas and pat dry with kitchen paper. Tip into a food processor along with the onion, garlic, parsley, cumin, coriander, harissa paste, flour and a little salt. Blend until fairly smooth, then shape into four patties with your hands.
2. Heat the sunflower oil in a non-stick frying pan, and fry the burgers for 3 mins on each side until lightly golden. Serve with the toasted pitta bread, tomato salsa and green salad.
Mushroom & Leek Spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 350g frozen leeks
- 380g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 50g (2 slices) crusty white bloomer, blitzed into breadcrumbs
- 300g spaghetti
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- 10g fresh basil, leaves picked and roughly chopped
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the leeks and fry for 5-6 mins until softened. Add the mushrooms, increase the heat to medium-high and fry for 8-10 mins until golden and tender and any water has evaporated. Stir in the garlic and oregano; season and fry for 1 min more until the garlic is fragrant.
2. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a separate frying pan and fry the breadcrumbs over a medium heat for 3-4 mins, stirring frequently, until crunchy and golden. Season, transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti to pack instructions; drain well. Stir into the mushrooms and leeks and toss well. Stir in the lemon zest and juice, then scatter with the basil and crispy breadcrumbs to serv
Vegan Snacks for Kids
Melty Veggie Sticks
Organix Melty Veggie Sticks are baked rather than fried, so they’re healthy for your toddlers, with organic vegetables to keep on-the-go little ones satisfied throughout the day.
Apple Rice Cakes
Made with the juice from apples and puffed rice, these vegan Organix Rice Cakes are puffed into chunky circles, perfectly sized for little fingers to grab, hold and munch in apple, cherry, berry and banana flavours.